Sunday, March 22, 2009

NO LYIN' WHERE?


I have never liked U2.

I won't go as far as to say that I hate them, they seem like decent fellows, I just never connected the their sound or message. To quote Henry Rollins, "The Clash is the band U2 wish they could be". 

That said, it's been impossible not to notice the conspicuously austere and minimal wild postings around the streets of LA, advertising the latest U2 release, No Line On the Horizon. I did some lazy 'research', (ie, a few minutes with a search engine or two) to find some more information about their *gasp* elegant and beautiful advertisements. Apparently, Japanese photographer Hiroshi Sugimoto is responsible for the image on the cover, and much to my shock, did it as an artist-to-artist trade with U2. Kinda....cool? Read a little more about it over at the Japanese Times.




(I will resist the temptation to comment upon the limited edition, multi-format, special packaging-as-a-reward-for-buying-the-physical-object-also-an-anti-digital-file-sharing-music-BS...)


No comments: