Tuesday, October 28, 2008

STUDIO SPACE 1995



411 West Congress Street, Savannah, Georgia, 1995. Paneled and panoramic large format contact print, photographed by Tom Fischer. 

This was just weeks prior to vacating this amazing 1500 square foot warehouse, a spot I occupied from October 1994 thru August 1995. I paid the owners $100 a month for rent (when I could afford it). This location was my also first 'real' studio space after finishing my degree from the Savannah College of Art and Design in 1994. It was during this time that the visual vocabulary of my Nonrepresentational Photographs really began to 'mature'. I finally had the physical space to develop the installational nature of display that these works really benefit from. Pieces on easel include the Carte De Visite series, Grey Rectangles, Monochromatic Polyptych and For S.Mann.

Shortly after this photo was made, I moved into the former York Lane Theater at 15 West York Lane; another loft/warehouse spot that served as both living and working quarters. I remained at that address from 1996-2004, when I packed up and moved to Los Angeles.

No comments: