Monday, April 6, 2009

NEW SCREENPRINTS





Fresh from an inspiring trip to Europe, I am back in the studio and trying to challenge myself. Above are actual, unique screenprint works/series in progress. I am finding these very difficult to accept as finished works, but that is also what is so intriguing to me. Is a completely unique, non-repeatable, imageless, organic 'blob' of ink, forced through a finely-meshed, sans-emulsion screen with a squeegee, still a screenprint? Is it interesting? Is it art?


These are the kind of difficult positions I like to wander into...if I can push work into the realm of the completely absurd, seemingly meaningless and almost without function, the closer it is to the nature of life.


2 comments:

Chris said...

These are beautiful J! Keep them coming!

Unknown said...

A. I really like these.

2. I was fortunate enough to have seen a Richard Serra exhibition in Bregenz, Austria this past Summer. This series of work you are showing here is strangely reminiscent of the 'drawings' Serra was exhibiting. I have no doubt you are familiar with Serra and his work, but here is a link to the exhibition brief: http://www.kunsthaus-bregenz.at/ehtml/ewelcome00.htm

I know (from how much you have shown on this blog) that your book collection is very important. So, I feel obligated to tell you that there is also a book/catalog that came along with this exhibition. http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Serra-Drawings-Work-Comes-Work/dp/3865604161/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239124074&sr=1-2

Hopefully I am on point with this comparison...?

C. Please keep these coming!